November 16, 2012

Fall from fall


OK so the title says it all.  So much meaning for such a small word. Fall by loosing balance, fall meaning accidentally being drawn into, fall like the season and fall like fall off the face of the blogosphere world (does anyone really read this anyway :))!

Summer was amazing. Here in the land of 'its so hot all you want to do is sit in air conditioning or a pool and not move in fear of heat exhaustion' Texas - it was not so bad.  This summer we had a lot to be thankful for.  As part of my practice, I am finding gratitude in all things, even in a few degrees cooler weather and rain!!! It was an amazing summer that flew by very fast.  Now on to the hustle and bustle of Fall.

I was reading with my little chicken the other night (let it be known it can be a challenge -most polite way to say it- of listening to my little one read). She gets terribly frustrated and then I get frustrated and then it usually ends in tears or well me passing the buck to my husband.  I know, totally crappy mother thing to do.  There for a while, I was excusing myself as I told myself that I was hindering not helping. Then my yoga practice reminded me that running or passing the buck is not the way to work through something and it is not the message I want to send.  So I sat and centered myself first before even bringing up reading.  Side note: I center by sitting and breathing very deeply and mindfully for 20 rounds or so...if you have questions send me a note in the comments and I can help.

"My dearest most loveliest chicken (a term of endearment) would you care to read to mommy?" She takes a deep breath - I'm guessing in response to my deep breath while asking.  Here is where mimicking is a good thing! "Ok mommy!" she says cheerfully.  I can already tell this is going to be a good time (psyching myself up)! She runs and picks a book that we have read a million (not exaggerating here!) times.  Between you and me I really do not like this boring book! This is the practice I remind myself.  It is really good for kids to feel confident and redundancy gives them that (so I am told)...ie) suck it up and listen to this book as if it where the best book ever!!! I place my hands in the compassion mudra to remind myself how hard it is to read and how hard it is to have confidence in something that feels foreign. Keeping my fingers in the compassion mudra the entire time it was a reminder to soften.  I wanted to enjoy, to be fully present for this amazing child and her abilities. Not where I think those abilities should be but where they perfectly are!

I am happy to report there was no shortness of deep breathes. There was a whole lot more enjoyment.  At one point when she got really frustrated with the book we paused and I told her the truth.  "There are times when things are going to be hard and frustrating but I know you can do hard things.  I know you can overcome what is given to you.  I know you are caring and compassionate towards others it is one of your biggest strengths! It is just as important to share that caring and compassion with yourself and your heart."  Wait...what? Pause to ingest those very words. I must lead by example and thus we have the practice :). Life is so much more fun when you lead with compassion!  Compassion to all and to all a goodnight!

Let's discuss, chat, debate or simply commiserate - drop me a line...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave yet...please share your words.