June 15, 2011

I'm perfect!

I'm Perfect! Even typing the words makes my stomach uneasy, my internal nay sayer activates, and my heart engages.  I am finding inspiration reading "Yoga from the Inside Out" by Christina Sell (my Anusara Immersion teacher).  Since I can remember, I have always been one who strives for perfection in Merriam Webster's version of being without fault or defect. Let me elaborate...when someone used to compliment me on a job well done I would wait.  Wait for what you ask...the criticism, the what you could have done better, the BUT! When I didn't receive the latter I thought they were holding back not giving me the full truth. In the book she talks about how the sleeping world has conditioned us to think we are guilty (not worthy) until proven innocent (our true nature).  She talks about her past and how this plays a role in how she treats herself - all relatable.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think this perfectionistic trait is only destructive it can serve as a growth vehicle when used objectively. However, if I only attach to what is "wrong" and blind to what is "right" then it no longer serves as a growth vehicle.

Can I grow without the BUT?  Can I trust that I am perfect in the "full" "complete" "sure" "satisfied" version of the word? Can I relish in the positive energy and love that is being shared with me?  Can I accept the gift without ad libbing from the internal judge and simply surrender to the way things are?  

This week I will take my perfect self to the mat as a non-judgemental observer.  I will bring awareness to what arises with objectivity and not judgement.  I will practice discernment and trust in order to determine which internal processes serve my yoga practice and which of these patterns hinder my growth and development. I will have complete gratitude for this amazing vehicle (body) I bring to the mat day in and day out. Your perfect just the way you are as it is not a path of perfection but a path of progression :).

Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string. Accept the place the divine providence has found for you, the society of your contemporaries, the connection of events. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave yet...please share your words.